The term ‘environmentally friendly’ can mean many things. When buying your next property, look out for features that will give it a five-star eco-friendly rating:
• Solar and wind power: Look for homes using these energy-efficient ways to power your home – they can also reduce your carbon footprint.
• Insulation and glazing: Good insulation and double-glazed windows regulate the inside temperature and may save you a small fortune in heating
• Building orientation: North-facing properties benefit from sun during the day, which naturally lights and heats the property.
• Building materials: Construction materials can directly impact a property’s environmental footprint. Look for reclaimed wood, recycled and sustainable materials.
• Water-saving appliances: From dual-flush toilets to rainwater tanks, these appliances all contribute to saving water.
• Natural lighting: Skylights and well-positioned windows bring natural light into your home, reducing your reliance on electricity.